We were lucky enough to have the accomplished and brilliant cellist Mairi Dorman-Phaneuf sit down for a talk about Broadway, the importance of storytelling in music, coping with nerves, and what went into creating, recording and producing her new album, Music of Broadway For Cello and Piano, featuring works by Broadway's biggest arrangers and composers.
“This album is a testament to the melodies I’ve known and loved for decades adapted by and recorded with music directors who have conducted and arranged them countless times,” said Dorman-Phaneuf. “It was so rewarding to be able to play these iconic songs as true pieces of chamber music. I’m grateful to know the arrangements will be published as it is my hope they find their way into the mainstream concert repertoire.”
Music of Broadway for Cello and Piano
The album features arrangements by Dorman-Phaneuf, Brad Haak, Michael Kosarin, Simon
Mulligan, Ted Sperling and Billy Stritch. Dorman-Phaneuf is also accompanied on the piano
by Haak, Kosarin, Mulligan, Sperling and Stritch.
1. “The Light in the Piazza” – From The Light in the Piazza
2. “Beauty and the Beast – Fantasy for Cello and Piano” – From Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
3. “Hushabye Mountain / Feed The Birds” – From Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins
4. “Can’t We Be Friends?” – From The Little Show
5. “Send in the Clowns” – From A Little Night Music
6. “Nightingale Lullaby” – From Once Upon a Mattress
7. “Richard Rodgers Waltz Medley”
8. “Maria” – From West Side Story
9. “All Things in Time” (Bonus Track)